Do you or anyone you know need assistance paying their utility bill?
2019 LIHEAP Income Guidelines
**Important: Enrollment dates for the upcoming LIHEAP season have changed.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides qualifying households with monetary relief for energy bills.
LIHEAP funds do not need to be paid back. Eligibility is based on several factors, including household size and income. Funds are provided in one lump sum from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.
To qualify for LIHEAP, a household's combined income for the 30 days prior to application must be at or below a certain level. For renters, heat and/or electric must be included in the rent, and rent must be greater than 30 percent of total income in order to be eligible for benefits.
How to Apply
Step 1: Application
Contact your nearest Community Action Agency to find out if you qualify, what paperwork you need to bring to apply and to arrange an appointment to meet with an agency representative.
- Community Action Agencies: offices and phone numbers
- Call 877.411.9276 (WARM).
- TDD for the hearing impaired: 800.785.6055
- Seniors may contact the Illinois Department on Aging "Senior Hotline" at 800.252.8966 (voice and TDD) for a referral to their local Community Action Agency.
Step 2: Notification
If eligible, you will be informed of the amount of assistance you can receive. The agency will notify your energy provider(s) of your participation in the program.
Step 3: Payment
The agency will make payments to the energy provider(s) on your behalf.
When applying for assistance, you will need to provide the following information/documents:
- A copy of your current gas bill
- Applicants that have their utilities included in the rent must bring proof of rental agreement stating monthly rental amount, that utilities are included, and landlord contract information. (Rent costs must be greater than 30% of current household 30-day income)
- A copy of your current lease/proof of residence
- A valid driver’s license
- Social Security card/numbers for all household members (Hard-copy Social Security cards, print-out from the Social Security Administration)
- Proof of 30-day income from all household members.
- If a member of your household receives TANF, you must bring their Medical Eligibility Card.
*Enrollment dates for the upcoming LIHEAP season have changed.
October 1st - Seniors and customers with disabilities
November 1st - Families with children under the age of 6
December 1st - Open enrollment for all customers who are within the Income Guidelines