Keep your natural gas appliances and/or equipment in good working condition by following these safety tips:
- Keep your natural gas appliances and equipment maintained and in good working order by having them cleaned and/or inspected for safety once a year by a certified natural gas contractor/HVAC technician.
- Gas appliances should have proper air circulation at all times.
- A gas flame should burn bright blue. A yellow or orange flame could indicate improper combustion or venting. Have your appliance checked by a certified contractor if you believe your system is not working properly.
- Keep flammable or combustible items away from gas appliances and equipment.
- Use natural gas equipment only for what it's designed to do. For example, you should never use a stove or oven for heating.
- Buy only natural gas equipment that has the American Gas Association Blue Star Seal of Approval, which shows that the appliance meets strict safety standards.