Exclamation Icon Leaks, Odor or Emergencies 888.Nicor4U (642.6748)
811 Icon Call Before You Dig
Dial 811
My Account Sign In
Exclamation Icon Leaks, Odor or Emergencies 888.Nicor4U (642.6748)
811 Icon Call Before You Dig
Dial 811
My Account Sign In
My Account Sign In

Appliance Connector FAQ

What are appliance connectors?
Gas appliance connectors are corrugated metal tubes used to connect your home's gas appliances to fuel gas supply pipes.

Tell me about the different types of appliance connectors.
There are three types of acceptable appliance connectors:

  • plastic-coated brass
  • uncoated stainless steel
  • plastic-coated stainless steel, which can be gray or yellow

Unacceptable, dangerous connectors are those that are uncoated brass.

Which appliances should have flexible connectors and which should have solid piping leading to the appliance?
Your dryer, stove, range and cook top probably have flexible connectors if they use natural gas. It is recommended that your water heater and furnace have solid piping.

How do I know if my connectors are uncoated brass (the dangerous kind)?
If your appliance is more than 20 years old, there is a good chance that it may have an uncoated brass connector. The only safe way to tell is to have a qualified contractor check. DO NOT attempt to check them yourself.

Why is it dangerous to move an appliance myself?
Moving the appliance, even slightly, whether to clean behind it or to inspect its gas connector, can cause complete failure of an older weakened connector and possibly result in a gas leak inside your home.

What should I do if I move my appliance and then smell gas?
If you smell a strong, persistent natural gas odor or hear gas leaking:

  1. Leave the house immediately, leaving doors and windows open as you leave. Do not open windows if they're not already open.

  2. Do not use your telephone or appliances, do not light a match, or turn light switches on or off. Sparks could ignite natural gas.

  3. Call Nicor Gas (888.Nicor4u) from a neighbor's house. Remain there until emergency personnel arrive.

Where can I purchase appliance connectors?
Appliance connectors can be purchased at any hardware or home improvement store. However, a qualified contractor should always install them.

Can I install new or replace old appliance connectors by myself?
Only a qualified professional should check or replace connectors.

I've checked my connectors and know they're uncoated brass. I only want to schedule a replacement.
In order for Nicor Gas to replace your connectors, we must conduct the inspection.

I'm moving and have approved appliance connectors. Can I take them with me?
As a rule, you should replace the connectors whenever the appliance is replaced or moved from its location.

I've recently built a new home. Would a new home have uncoated brass appliance connectors?
To our knowledge, these dangerous uncoated brass connectors have not been made for more than 20 years, although it is always good to have them inspected.

My landlord pays my gas bill. How do I go about having my appliance connectors inspected?
We suggest that you arrange for an inspection through your landlord or property anagement company.

Who can inspect or install appliance connectors for me?
Only have a qualified HVAC contractor inspect and install appliance connectors.

I've had uncoated brass appliance connectors for a long time and nothing has happened. Why am I now being told they are unsafe?
Although not all uncoated connectors have this flaw, it is very difficult to tell which ones do. Therefore, any uncoated brass connector should be replaced immediately with a new plastic-coated brass connector or a new stainless steel connector. We have been telling customers about appliance connector hazards for several years. Because this is such an important safety issue, we are increasing efforts to make customers aware of the dangers.