Fuel Cost Comparison
Switching from electricity to natural gas is good for your business.
Cost Comparison Chart - Natural Gas vs. Electricity*
|Small Load (Less than 100 kW)||$25.73||8.78|
(Greater than 99 kW but less than 400 kW)
(Greater than 399 kW but less than 1,000 kW)
|Very Large Load (Greater than 999 kW)||$32.64||11.14|
*Comparison based on the April 2017 Fuel Price Survey. Bundled tariff electric rate comparison calculated by Nicor Gas Customer Development.
Cost Comparison Chart - Natural Gas vs. Other Fossil Fuels*
|#2 Fuel Oil||$17.84||$2.48|
*April 2017 survey of fuel suppliers, selected customers and wholesale price indices by Nicor Gas Customer Development.
Benefits of Natural Gas:
- Generally costs less than electricity
- Provides high energy content
- Can be used to generate electricity onsite
- Can provide thermal efficiencies over 80 percent in CHP applications
- Supplies are very reliable
- Equipment is very reliable when properly maintained
Disadvantages of Utility-Supplied Electricity:
- Higher operating cost
- Supply interruptions are common
- Equipment can be more expensive to install when allowances are made for transformers, motor controls, etc.
- Very expensive for bulk heating
- Equipment is difficult to keep clean without damage or expensive protection