At Nicor Gas, we believe that part of our corporate responsibility is to give back to our communities, and our philanthropic focus is designed to make a meaningful impact in the communities we serve.
Here are just a few examples of our charitable giving contributions in 2016:
- $4,000 donation in support of the Economic Alliance of Kankakee County’s 2016 work program
- $5,000 donation to the Red Cross CS IL (central and southern Illinois region)
- Sponsor of Kankakee Community College’s Girl’s STEM-STEAM program
- Co-sponsor of the 21st Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Breakfast, which honored the legacy of Dr. King and celebrated the diversity of community colleges.
- Sponsor of the 13th annual Cuisine for a Cause that benefits Naperville Cares.
- $7,000 grant to the Raue Center for the Arts to support their art education program.
- $5,000 donation to the Ecker Center for Mental Health
Energizing Student Potential
Energizing Student Potential (ESP) is a STEM-focused (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) program designed for 5th-8th grade teachers and students alike. ESP came together through the collaboration of six energy companies, including Nicor Gas.
Working with the National Energy Education Development (NEED) project, ESP provides a full suite of programs that foster passion for science, technology, engineering and math in 5th through 8th grade students and provide teachers the tools they need to reach this goal.
ESP will serve 120 diverse schools throughout the region within three years and produce measurable outcomes in advancing STEM.
Burbank School District 111 announced that Byrd School has been awarded a grant to participate in the Energizing Student Potential (ESP) program for the 2015-2016 school year. Learn More.
As an Energizing Student Potential school, Bednarcik Junior High School and teachers Amy Truemper and Genna Sparacino along with their students held an Energy Fair that was open to the public. This first-of-its-kind, hands-on Energy Fair is supported by the Exelon Foundation, ComEd, Nicor Gas, Peoples Gas, North Shore Gas, and BP.
United for United Way
Nicor Gas is proud of our long association with United Way, which began in 1954, and continues today. By helping fund more than 1,000 health and human service agencies throughout northern Illinois, United Way enriches, strengthens and nurtures communities to make them more vibrant places to live and work.
Nicor Gas was recognized in June 2015 by the United Way of Metropolitan Chicago (UWMC) as a Top 25 Corporate Citizen.
Nicor Gas also received the Volunteerism Pillar Award in recognition of employees’ ongoing support of the West Chicago Live United Neighborhood Network and the more than 4,000 volunteer hours donated to United Way agencies across northern Illinois.
In addition to these awards, Nicor Gas was recognized for its support of a Leadership Giving Challenge Grant and for its ongoing sponsorship of the Loaned Executive Program.