Percentage of Income Payment Plan (PIPP)
Nicor Gas, in partnership with the Department of Commerce and Economic Development, offers the PIPP Program, which allows eligible customers to pay a percentage of their monthly income to maintain their utility service. The program is designed to provide customers with an affordable, level payment plan and a chance to eliminate past due balances.
PIPP eligibility criteria:
- LIHEAP approved, at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level
- Natural gas space heat customer
- Active residential customer
30 Day Income
How do I enroll in the PIPP Program? Eligibility verification and enrollment is done through your local Community Action Agency (formerly known as LIHEAP local offices).
Eligible customers who choose to sign-up for the PIPP Program will have the following benefits:
- A level payment plan requiring a minimum monthly payment of 6 percent of the customers' gross monthly income.
- The program will pay for the difference between the payment and the monthly bill amount up to $100 excluding any non gas service related charges.
- As long as the monthly customer payment is received on or before the due date, the customer will receive a credit of 1/12 of their total arrears (past due payments) up to a maximum monthly amount of $83.33.
- Initial application and annual recertification for the PIPP Program is conducted by the customer through their local Community Action Agency.
- Customers must make their payment on time by the due date to avoid the risk of being removed from the program.
- Customers will recertify eligibility each year and meet program qualifications. Zero-income clients must recertify their eligibility quarterly.